Take a hard look at your website as it stands right now. Do you keep up with the times of the internet? Can you update it often? Does it function properly and give your visitors incentive to buy from you? Is it informative? Does it look like it could win awards? Is is using HTML5 and CSS3? If you answered no to any of these questions…you may need a website redesign.
If It Ain’t Broke…Don’t Fix It?
Just because your site works, does not mean it works well. Bad code and missing SEO may not be visible but can severely hurt your ranking online with search engines. Google and Yahoo / Bing have changed over the years and with new algorithms being pushed out all the time, you need a website developer to help stay on task and keep you from dropping off the face of the internet.
Future Design Group and other website developers in your area may be able to give you reports that can help you see what they see. We see the internet change quickly and if you do not stay on top of it, you will get left behind. Progression online can mean long hours and a lot of work. No matter what kind of magic “SEO Experts” try to sell you, it takes work. There is no magic pill to get ahead on Google or Yahoo / Bing and if there is…enjoy your time in the spotlight because it will not last for long.
A new website design or website redesign can be a cost effective solution to your missing clients or visitors.
How To Tell If I Need A Website Redesign?
Well, we can give you a useful report to lead you in the right direction or we can talk to you about your website redesign needs. If you think you may need a website redesign but want to verify for yourself, take a look at some of the following tell-tale signs you need a website redesign:
- Your site is completely made in flash. Flash is almost useless now-a-days and does more harm then good with SEO. Yeah, it is flashy and grabs the attention of your visitors…but it is obsolete and can be made using CSS3 and HTML5 without losing SEO. Also, good luck on getting most mobile users to view your site.
- No call to action. What is the point of your site? If your visitors cannot tell, then you definitely need to rethink your online marketing. A good call to action positioned in a visible place helps direct your visitors to where you want them to go. Without one, they may get lose.
- Your website looks terrible on a mobile phone or tablet. Responsive design is now a normal practice for any good website design agency. You want to grab as many users as possible on every device they own in order to make sure your ROI is worth it. Non responsive design and flash…you can kiss your visitors good bye because they are not coming back.
- Your website lacks social attention and interaction. Does your website have a way to share your site or interact in anyway? If not, get with the program. Everyone has at least one social media account…become engaged and let them engage you. There is no excuse for not being active in social media.
- Your website is table based or built using images. If your site is table based on incorporates images as it’s face, then your site is outdated…like 1998 outdated. Tables and images based websites provide no SEO benefit whatsoever. You are losing out on visitors and potential purchases.
- Splash screen or coming soon pages? Splash screens are terrible for SEO. Basically, you are pointing the search engines to a non informative page and telling them that this page represents your home page. No matter the content behind this wall…you stick up a road block and not only will you lose search engines, but your visitors will quickly be turned off. No road blocks…get them in and out.
- Visible hit counter. Back in GeoCities…this was the way to go. Unless you have millions of visitors a day, why would you want to advertise that your site is not visited? Google Analytics and other services provide this information to your for free. So, drop the hit counter and track your visitors through analytics software.
Above is the first few things that will help you know if your website needs a redesign. There are many other things to check for, but if you have any of the symptoms above…start thinking about a website redesign. Let us help you evaluate your website and we can help you decide if a website redesign is in your best interest.
Don’t think you are alone…until recently, hundreds of Fortune 500 companies, government organizations, and local businesses had outdated websites; some still do. Take a look at our list below for some of the current offenders.
Even Large Companies Make Mistakes
Take a look at some of the websites we were able to fine that have outdated websites. You may recognize some of the names.
If you did not know their names…would you buy from them in this day and age?
Luckily, most of the large companies are getting with the program and upgrading their design to meet the new requirements designated by search engines and improving their overall user interaction. Over half of the sites we found above (after picking some of the more notable names from the bad sites we found) were not code compliant and do not use HTML5 for the website. Some were using tables for layout and some were even missing basic meta data. Responsive design as a rarity as well.
Fortunately for them, they are mostly large enough to not need a good design or code base, but are you in the same position?
In conclusion, most companies need a leg up online or they need to be easy to use for their visitors. Bad design and bad code create issues in achieving both. If you can look at your site and think “I wouldn’t think twice about buying from me” then you need a website redesign. If you are unsure whether or not you need help, call or email us for a useful report on where to start or to let us help you FUTURE-ize your website.
If you are interested in learning more about how this topic can help your business, please contact our agency on our contact page or call us at 1-888-964-4991. We publish a new article once or twice per month so make sure to follow us on social media and allow for push notifications if you want to stay in the loop with our agency and digital marketing.
Posted In: Information
If you want to see more of our blog articles and have them delivered directly to you, you are in luck. Sign up below and you will get emails when we publish new articles.
Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you and will not send you junk. Just informative articles.
About the Author
Director of Website Development
With over a decade of experience designing and developing websites, Eric has worked in every position of the agency ladder. He is fluent in multiple backend and front end programming languages and has written multiple international best selling plugins for WordPress. He has been part of or is still part of many startups. He is the Director of Website Development for Future Design Group and one of it's founding partners.